Celebrities have to look good. It is part of their job description. While some of their exceptional appearances may be chocked up to good genetics, clear, healthy skin starts with a good skincare routine. Since celebrity culture piques curiosity and drives today’s beauty standards, we rounded up what three of Hollywood’s leading female celebrities do in their morning routine to keep their skin camera ready at all times.
Her longtime makeup artist Sarah Tanno (who has worked with clients like Gigi Hadid, Kate Bosworth, and Dakota Johnson) points out that the 35-year-old “has the most incredible skin in the business.” To keep Gaga’s skin looking dewy, Tanno recently shared the iconic star’s morning skincare routine.
- Serum: Tanno loves Ole Henriksen Truth Serum because it really boosts a nice, healthy glow. “I press it into [Lady Gaga’s] skin with [a sonic infusion device] to really help it absorb.”
- Moisturizers: Tanno’s trusty moisturizer is Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré: “It’s perfect for makeup prep and even works on the most sensitive skin. I always keep this in tow and in-flight.” She also uses By Terry Baume de Rose Face Cream. “I use this all over [Lady Gaga’s] face for a more dewy look.”
- Face Oil: Tanno points out that not all face oils are equal with some not penetrating and getting sticky. “But Vintner’s Daughter Active Botanical Serum really absorbs so nicely and evens skin tone so well that I sometimes skip the moisturizer [on Lady Gaga]—I really don’t have to use much else.”
- Sunscreen: When it comes to protecting Gaga’s skin, Tanno says Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 is her go-to referring to the product as, “the sunscreen to end all sunscreens.”
- Lip Balm: Before applying any lipstick, Tanno likes to exfoliate Gaga’s lips first. “After that, I’ll add on Sisley Nutritive Lip Balm. It’s my ride or die—I can’t live without it.”
At 55 years of age, Salma Hayek is the epitome of aging gracefully. In fact, she has sworn off treatments like Botox since she believes you get too reliant on them and it makes other muscles pick up the slack for the paralyzed muscles. She also doesn’t cleanse or exfoliate her skin too often and embraces natural ingredients like coconut oil. While she admits that she approaches her skincare routine day-by-day depending on how it looks in the morning, she recently shared her am routine.
- Cleanser: Hayek doesn’t believe in washing her face in the am. “My grandmother taught me that at night your skin replenishes all the things you lost during the day. Also, if I cleanse very well at night, why would it be dirty when I wake up? It’s for companies to have you use more products.”
- Face Mist: In lieu of a morning face wash, Hayek opts for Herbivore’s Rose Hibiscus toner instead. “I spritz rose water—it’s so gentle and wakes the skin up”
- Moisturizer: For her moisturizer, Hayek uses ASDM Beverly Hills Tepezcohuite Cream religiously. “I use an ingredient called tepezcohuite that’s used in Mexico for burn victims because it completely regenerates the skin…. This is why I have no Botox, no peels, no fillings.”
- Sunscreen: While Hayek believes in sun protection, she doesn’t like it added to cosmetics. “I am completely against SPF, completely. SPF on its own is good, but I’m sorry, SPF in creams and makeup is a big mistake. It’s a lot of chemicals that can affect the formula of the cream. Ninety percent of the time, you don’t need it because you are working in an office indoors. Or you are going out at night.”
- Lip Balm: When it comes to hydrating her lips, Hayek says, “I also… throw a Sisley Paris Nutritive Lip Balm lip balm in my purse.”
Having two parents who were in the entertainment industry, Kravitz was taught to take care of herself, to look and feel good, being extra mindful of her skin and the ingredients she put on it. “I really think that beauty starts from within—from your health, your gut, your beauty routine, your skin routine, being hydrated—and then you don’t have to use makeup to cover yourself up. You can use it to highlight,” she recently told Vogue. Kravitz, who suffered from acne, admits, “I had a lot of acne on my forehead and on my cheeks. And I still break out, you know? It happens. Even if you don’t have a lot of makeup on, living in a city like New York, there’s pollution and shit in the air.”
- Cleansers: “I wash my face morning and night. I like a company called Retrouvé, or Joanna Vargas.” She also uses Rhonda Allison’s Pumpkin Lactic Cleanse. “It’s organic, it’s yummy, and smells good. Also, my face feels super clean after.”
- Exfoliator: “My facialist, Dayle Breault, makes fantastic products. They’re all organic and natural, and I use all of her exfoliants and serums.”
- Serums: For serums, Kravitz cycles between two depending on the climate. “Retrouvé Nutrient Face Serum is really just lovely. I love all their products, but in the summertime, the serum’s just really nice and light.” When the climate gets a bit drier, she opts for Dayle Breault Goddess of Skin Truthful Serum. “I like her serum. I’ll add that when it gets so dry here. For the most part, everything I use is either by Dayle or it’s on the natural side. I don’t like to put too much on if I don’t know what it is. The product is going in your pores every day.”
- Face Mists: “I love Caudalie Beauty Elixir…. It’s good to keep your skin hydrated in between serums and stuff, and it has a really nice, minty, fresh feeling,” Kravitz shares. “In the wintertime, I might use Dayle’s Breault Goddess of Skin Synergy Mist: mist afterward, because it keeps your skin moisturized.”
- Moisturizers: For moisturizers, Kravitz really likes Arcona’s products. She also uses Shiva Rose Glow Face Balm. “Love this smell, and it gives my skin a nice shine.”
- Eye Creams: When it comes to her eyes, Kravitz uses both Retrouvé Revitalizing Eye Concentrate and Dr. Haushka’s Daily Hydrating Eye Cream. “Under the eyes, I use a cream by Dr. Hauschka.”
- Sunscreens: Kravitz admits that she hasn’t always worn sunscreen, but she is being much more proactive about it now. “I’ve not always worn SPF. It’s something actually I’m just becoming strict about. I have freckles, which I love, but I’m getting more and more, and I just want to make sure I’m not damaging my skin. I live in New York and I walk outside all day and all of a sudden you realize you’ve been basically baking in the sun for like, 12 hours. It’s important that we protect our skin.”